Saturday, February 11, 2012

BUDDHAS & THE BITCHES...A WEEK WITH BOBBY PREVITE






I recently asked the universe for some guidance about a piece I am working on for dance....I am composing in a very new way - quite different than anything I've ever done before - and through it, something keeps coming up quite clearly and for some reason I keep resisting it...

but I know we all have an individual voice - and it is our obligation to stay pure and focus on amplifying that voice...no matter what - to contribute our individual sound, we have a moral obligation...

So then I got this gig - my friend and colleague Wayne Horvitz got in touch and asked me to play bass clarinet with a 12-piece ensemble Bobby Previte was putting together in Seattle to play a Miles Davis tribute night - music from Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way.

Over the course of that week I got to talk to Bobby about the amazing piece he's been doing, Diorama - percussion solos for 1 audience member at a time and the ins & outs of energy exchange as a performer, improviser & composer....I attended his masterclass at Cornish College and got an hour-long earful of all of the things I am guided by and know to be true presented in a new language at exactly the moment I needed to hear them, and reveled in nights of music making with Wayne's Conduction Band, the Bitches rehearsals and an incredibly educational and energy churning Bitches performance at the Royal Room...

Thank you universe - thank you for Bobby Previte and the fertile community generating nucleus that is Wayne Horvitz.

"the battle is won or lost in the fold of the map"
www.bobbyprevite.com


Back to the composition...

No comments:

Post a Comment