Monday, October 24, 2011

NAKATANI GONG ORCHESTRA












This month I had the great honor and privilege of playing with Tatsuya Nakatani and the Nakatani Gong Orchestra.

Nakatani has developed a method of playing gongs with bows and large mallets - all of which he makes himself - to create these incredible breathing, undulating, otherworldly baths of resonant sound....it is truly spectacular...

His level of precision and openness combine into a masterful tutorial as he pulls together individuals in each city to form each incarnation of the N.G.O.

I have so many things to say about this brilliant artist/experience. and I wish I had some documentation of the INCREDIBLE solo set he did with a modified drum set that included 3 large and 1 medium gong and a collection of metal objects that he played on the drums....but I was too captivated to even think of turning on a camera.

I hope this is the first of many opportunities to swim with Tatsuya Nakatani.

No comments:

Post a Comment