Saturday, November 13, 2010

LIVING ROOM PARTY 38

DEVELOPMENT_SINGING & PLAYING THE DARBUKA AT THE SAME DAMN TIME....DAMNBUKA...

This song is called: Sojka Ptica

I learned it from Gino Yevdjevich to be used as reference material/incorporated in the Butoh piece developed with Vanessa Skantze.



Mark my words, someday - SOMEDAY.....I try to remember that I've been working on the clarinet for 20 years and it still kicks my ass daily, and I won't even start in on the bass clarinet and it's ass whipping tendencies....so it's ok that the drumming is a bit rocky - you have to start somewhere. I've always loved darbuka, and tapped around whenever a friend would let me hold one, like for example before a rehearsal or show. After the Kultur Shock tour with Gino in June/July 2009 I decided I was ready to really learn something. I had a short lesson with Gino in May 2010. My first public performance was the following June. The collaboration with Vanessa Skantze this November is my second.

It is possible to walk the great wall of China, but first you have to take a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment